When you buy fabric softener, you do not get only comfort and freshness from it, but also a significant amount of toxins that penetrate in the skin and if they’re inhaled, it can lead to numerous health problems, especially in kids.
Below there is a list of the most common dangerous ingredients that are found in liquid fabric softeners:
- A-Terpineol: this substance leads to disorders of the Central Nervous System, specifically, problems with the spine and brain, including Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, seizures, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, ADD, dementia and strokes. The first symptoms of Central Nervous System problems are blurred vision, numbness in face, aphasia, dizziness,disorientation, hunger, memory loss, headaches, pain in the spine and neck pain. If aspirated into the lungs this ingredient can lead to irritation of the mucus membranes and may result in fatal edema, respiratory depression and pneumonia.
- Chloroform: During the 19th century, this substance has been used as anesthesia, and in the early 20century has been found to be connected to fatal cardiac arrhythmia. Chloroform is on the Hazardous Waste list of EPA, since it’s a known carcinogenic neurotoxin. Moreover, if its vapors are inhaled, a person may experience nausea, drowsiness, vomiting, headache, loss of consciousness, and/or dizziness, and it might worsen the condition in the case of problems with the liver, kidney and heart disorders. Moreover, if exposed to heat, its effects are intensified.
- Ethanol: It can be found on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste since it may also lead to Central Nervous Systemdisorders.
- Ethyl Acetate: This substance is also found on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. This chemical may damage the liver and kidneys, may lead to loss of consciousness and unbearable headaches, and might irritate the eyes and the respiratory tract.
- Benzyl Alcohol: It irritates the upper respiratory tract and leads to disorders of the central nervous system (CNS), dizziness, nausea, headache, vomiting and dramatic drops in blood pressure.
- Phthalates: These substances are involved in scented products with the intention to preserve the scent, but they have been found to be connected to breast cancer and problems with the reproductive system.
- Pentane: If it’s inhaled, this ingredient may be very dangerous.
- Limonene: This substance is a popular ingredient that causes cancer, and also may cause irritations of the eyes andskin.
- Camphor: Another one ingredient that is as well on the same list by the EPA. It may be the reason for the occurrence of dizziness, convulsions, confusion, twitching muscles and nausea. It is quickly absorbed by the tissues, and lead to an irritated throat, eyes ornose.
- Linalool: The exposure to this ingredient has led to death in some animal studies. Actually, it’s a narcotic which causes respiratory problems and CNS disorders.
- Benzyl Acetate: It has been associated with pancreatic cancer. It might be absorbed through the skin, and its vapors can irritate the respiratory passages and the eyes.
- Vegans have to be aware of the fact that tallow is a form of animal fat that is commonly used in lots of fabric softener sheets.
Anyway, you should not believe that producers have included these toxic ingredients in their products completely unaware about their effects.
Actually, some of the packages have a small warning note saying that the goods should not to be used in children’s sleepwear. However, they may also have bigger illustrations of children andtoys, and you possibly will miss the important warning note.
So, it would be highly useful if you prepare your own, natural fabric softener that will prevent the dangerous effects from these ingredients.
The recipe for making your own fabric softener includes only two components. The first one, white vinegar, is cheap, nontoxicand efficiently gets rid of soap residue, and helps in static reduction during drying. Besides, since it includes small amounts of sodium andpotassium, it will also soften the hard water.
Natural Homemade Fabric Softener
- 30 drops of essential oil
- 1-gallon white vinegar
The preparation is really easy. Mix the ingredients and pour it into a suitable container.
Before putting it in the laundry, dilute 1/4 cup of the mixture with 3/4 cups of water.Pour this natural fabric softener into the washing machine during the final rinse cycle.
The results will amaze you!